Are Mushrooms Bad for Dogs? (Quick Guide!)

Are Mushrooms Bad For Dogs

Are Mushrooms Bad For Dogs?

Pet owners need to be very careful when giving certain types of foods to their dogs and one of them is mushrooms. Foods which are safe for humans, does not mean that they are safe for dogs as well. When it comes to mushrooms, people often ask, Are mushrooms bad for dogs? To which, the answer is Yes. Although, certain varieties of mushrooms, such as store-bought mushrooms are generally safe for dogs when they are cooked.

Wild mushrooms are not suitable for dogs because it is so difficult to recognize which are toxic and which are not. Therefore, it is safer to just presume all wild mushrooms are toxic and dangerous for dogs to eat. You should always cook the fresh store-bought mushrooms before you feed them to your dog. Once the mushrooms are cooked, then it will become easier for the dog to digest them. If your dog loves to eat cooked mushrooms then you can prepare a delicious mushroom treat for your dog with all his favorite veggies. Just make sure they are not cooked in the same pan as onions or garlic as these too are highly toxic to dogs.

Read more about onions and dogs in this previous article: Can Dogs Eat Onions?

Health benefits of mushrooms for dogs

Mushrooms can be a healthy treat for your dog because they boost the metabolism and improve the liver and kidney function in dogs. If you are worried about the cholesterol issues of your dog then mushrooms can help to lower the cholesterol and help in weight loss. To have a strong immune system, it is a good idea to introduce mushrooms in your dog’s diet.

Dogs can eat certain varieties of edible mushrooms that humans can eat safely. Wild mushrooms are toxic for dogs and they must be avoided otherwise your dog may experience some or all of the following symptoms:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive Drooling
  • Weakness
  • Liver Failure
  • Lethargy
  • Death

Being a pet owner, if you are not sure about mushrooms, then it is better to just give your dog his everyday high-quality dog food. However, if you think that your dog will love to eat the leftover mushrooms from your dinner, then there are certain safe varieties of mushrooms for dogs.

How to feed mushrooms to your dog?

Whenever you introduce any new food in your dog’s diet than always begin will a small quantity to avoid stomach upset. Discontinue feeding mushrooms if you notice any signs of sickness. If your pooch is fine with this healthy treat, then gradually increase the amount over a couple of days. To keep it safe, always opt for fresh or dried mushrooms as they contain more healthy nutrients as compared to canned mushrooms. To aid the digestion process, you need to cook the mushrooms before you serve them to your dog.

What kind of mushrooms can dogs eat?

What kind of mushrooms can dogs eat

There are lots of varieties of mushroom but you need to keep in mind that you should only feed your dog these mushrooms in small quantities. Organic mushroom varieties are most suitable to dogs because they are more sensitive than humans.

  • white button mushrooms
  • shiitake mushrooms
  • cremini mushrooms
  • oyster mushrooms
  • portobello mushrooms
  • porcini mushrooms
  • Maitake mushrooms
  • Morel mushrooms
  • Chanterelle mushrooms

Can dogs eat raw mushrooms?

No, dogs cannot eat raw mushrooms because they cannot be digested by your dog easily. Always go for cooked mushrooms to aid digestion. Unfortunately, if your dog has eaten raw mushrooms then this will cause upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea.   

How to cook mushrooms for dogs?

Now we know that mushrooms can be served to dogs only when they are cooked. You can prepare a simple recipe of mushrooms and peas and I am sure your canine will love this treat. Keep them simple and avoid adding salt or seasoning, otherwise it will cause stomach issues. If you are introducing a new food to your dog then always start with a very small quantity.

What happens when Dogs eat mushrooms?

If your dog has eaten wild mushrooms from your back yard, then you need to know that certain symptoms may arise, these may include:

  • Frequent urination
  • Increased salivation
  • Vomiting
  • Indigestion

My dog ate a mushroom in the garden, what should I do now?

You may have noticed wild mushrooms growing in your backyard. Unfortunately, if your dog has eaten any mushrooms growing in the grass, then this is a serious situation. Immediately talk to your vet if you suspect that your dog has eaten any toxic mushrooms, initial signs may be present within 15 minutes, but may also be delayed by several hours. It can be very difficult to identify the toxic and poisonous mushroom varieties, but immediate veterinary treatment can save the life of your dog.

Poisonous mushrooms to dogs

Not all types of mushrooms are safe for dogs to eat. There are approximately one hundred types of mushroom which are toxic to dogs and that can put the life of your dog in danger if ingested. When we talk about mushroom toxicity then it is ranked from A to D in which A is the severely poisonous variety that can be fatal, B is less toxic than A, but affects their central nervous system and can still be fatal. C affects the central nervous system but less so than B, and D which is less toxic again, yet can still cause vomiting and diarrhea. Some of these poisonous varieties include:

  • Death cap (most poisonous type of mushroom)
  • Destroying angel
  • Deadly webcap
  • Fool’s funnel
  • Funeral bell
  • Panther cap
  • Angel’s wings

How long does mushroom poisoning last in dogs?

If your dog has ingested a highly toxic mushroom then it can be a life-threatening situation for your dog. The toxins in the mushrooms can cause liver and kidney failure. If you notice any signs or symptoms, then immediately call your vet for the identification of mushroom poisoning in your dog. The most common symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs are upset stomach, abdominal pain, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, and weakness.

How to prevent your dog from eating wild mushrooms from your backyard?

Taking good care of your dog is everything. Whenever you are out for a walk with your dog, keep a close eye on your canine. Otherwise, he may eat something dangerous without you realizing it. This is especially true if you go for a walk in a wooded area, as you will find lots of organic matter due to the damp environment. Keeping your dog on a leash is the smart way to keep them from eating wild mushrooms. Training your dog is very important in this regard. Teach some easy commands to your dog so that he can leave this kind of organic matter. This will be very helpful to save the life of your pet.

Poisonous mushrooms to dogs

How to get rid of wild mushrooms in your garden?

If you have a beautiful yard where you love to spend time with your canine, carefully look for any wild mushrooms growing in your yard. At times you may be unaware of these wild mushrooms but your dog will instantly find them. Make sure you remove any wild mushrooms you find and dispose of them right away in order to save your pup from any harm. You can also use nitrogen fertilizer as it speeds up the decomposition of organic matter in the yard.

Final verdict:

Some mushrooms are loaded with health benefits but not all varieties of mushrooms are safe for dogs. If you are a pet owner and want to know if dogs can eat mushrooms? Then yes, certain shop-bought varieties of mushrooms are safe for dogs to eat but only if they are cooked.

As always, make sure to consult your veterinarian before giving your dog any new foods such as mushrooms.

Recent Articles

2 thoughts on “Are Mushrooms Bad for Dogs? (Quick Guide!)”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Shopping Cart